My first experience

"Walking is useful for moving from one place to another..."
Sp4m

My first experience

Post#1 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:08 pm

The way movement is currently applied didn't give me a very good experience.
The 'tank' style, dual controls are great, but there's a disconnect between my real hands grabbing the wands, and the virtual hands grabbing the sticks... basically, the metaphor doesn't work because there's no physical feedback. In particular, I can't tell if I've maxed out a lever or not, so I find myself struggling against the motion of the mech.

Also, I want to push a button (grips, as a toggle?) to engage the sticks. If I wanted to stay still, I'd have to either hold my hands still (hard), or raise them up to get them far clear of the motion controls.

Hover junkers has a great system where the vive wand becomes the joystick... it's not perfect, but it's immersive.

I also found myself frustrated by the shooting. I wanted to point with my hands, but instead I had to turn my head around to point my guns. That wasn't very engaging.

Recently I've been playing a lot of Skyrim with the 'Natural Locomotion' app, and it is surprisingly immersive. I know you want to stick with the idea that the player is a PILOT, not the mech itself, which is awesome, but it's not quite there yet.